Monday, February 23, 2009

Best friends

Here's what Annie wrote for English class about her brother:

“Take that babe back to the hospital,” was all Kaleb could say after I came home from the hospital. Over the years I have found that Kaleb has an overly dramatic personality. He’s very lively, and flamboyant, having energy at any time of the day - even after sports practice! His mind is made up of many thoughts, maybe even too many for one person at one time. That’s why we are able to have such profound conversations about whatever is on our minds at that present time, which tends to end in a fight. He constantly has to be right, whether or not he is right at all. Kaleb has some of the most beautiful blue eyes that go with whatever he is wearing, and has hair that does whatever he tells it to in the morning or at lunch, at whatever length it happens to be at. Kaleb has to be the only boy that can change his mind as fast as a girl can about whatever, sports, clothing, TV shows, and much more. He just goes with the flow at all times, which means he has to be changing. It doesn’t matter where we are; Kaleb always seems to be taller than I am by several heads. He has fairly good style in what he wears, but seems to come to his little sister to take him shopping to help him find some nice, new, stylish clothing. Kaleb is my best friend; he has always been there for me, through the bad news and the good. He was there when we put our dog down and moved to Dalat, and now he is still here for when I move back again, to help me get through what happens in a teenage girl’s life. At the end of the day we are still best friends, lying on the floor laughing about something totally random that happened who knows when.

WOW - Annie truly captured the essence of Kaleb's personality, right down to the need to be right, which he must get from his father. Yep, I know I'm right about that!! And at the end of the day, if you were to be in our home, you would see them laughing about something weird or sprawled across each other having a tickle war.

I really like these two kids....a lot and most days, recognize that their outstanding personalities have little to do with me and my inconsistent, sad attempts at parenting. Thank goodness for a bunch of significant others and especially for God's grace that makes a 15 year old girl love her big brother to pieces.

2 comments:

Anita said...

Yup, that's Kaleb...and Annie. My grandchildren and I love them.

Anonymous said...

Annie wrote a truly insightful description of her brother. That is a special skill. I am so proud of both of them and I do have to give some of the credit to their wonderful parents (the rest of the credit goes to God of course).