Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Mid month report

* The lovely dorm oven, shipped from the US a few years ago by a previous dorm mother, is on the fritz. So the cookie dough is in the fridge and the birthday cake will have to be baked somewhere else. A part needs to be shipped from the US - who knows how long that will take so hopefully another older stove can be moved in while we wait.
* I went today for a consultation to see about having laser eye surgery done to be rid of glasses once and for all. The bad news is that I am NOT a candidate for this surgery because (here's the good news), my correction is so minimal (which I already knew). The opthmalologist told me to only wear glasses for night driving and reading when I'm tired and my eyes will do the rest. The drops they used to see to the back of my eyes stung badly and for about another 3 hours my pupils were fully dilated and it was hard to see. Everything is back to normal now. I guess I'll go out and get a new pair of glasses :)
* We had our second snake in the dorm kitchen last night and poor dear Santi stepped on its tail. You have to understand that Santi is deathly afraid of bugs, rodents, lizards, snakes...anything crawly, dirty and unpredictable. He started screaming so the girls started screaming. When I finally got to the kitchen to see what was the matter, everyone was up on chairs and the poor snake was paralyzed with fear. Tim quickly removed it - it was a Malaysian brown snake, similar in length and size to garter snakes back home. Now we have to find the hole where they are coming in at since both snakes were found in the same spot.
* If you asked Abbie about me today I am sure she would tell you that "Aunt Shauna is evil". Last night, the young man asking her to JSB wanted me to ask her to come outside by saying I had a serious issue to discuss with her. He was to step out and pop the big question. I did just that - "Abbie, please come outside with me. I have something serious to talk to you about." When we got outside, David was nowhere around. That meant I had to walk around with Abbie, trying to get her to fess up to some imaginary bad deed. "Abbie what did you do today?" "Nothing Aunt Shauna. Seriously, I didn't do anything wrong....I don't think I did anything wrong...I hope I didn't do anything wrong!" David is still nowhere in sight. "Well you think about it and I'm sure something will come to you!" "But, but I didn't do anything wrong!!" Finally David jumped out from behind the vans and asked his burning question. Abbie didn't even reply to him - she started laughing and said to me, "You are so BAD, Aunt Shauna!" It took her over 2 hours to calm down from the whole experience. The beautiful bouquet of roses David gave to her certainly helped :)
* Softball state tourney in two weeks today.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shauna - you are bad! The poor girl.
And poor Santi - I can certainly sympathize with him. I like it when you catch us up on what is happening there.

Miss you guys!

Kate said...

Always up for some fun...good for you...and the snake ...well I don't mind garter snakes but I understand if you have a fear of something...glad to hear about your eyes. I also went to check that out but am not a candidate because I would still have to wear glasses all the time...whats the point. Can't wait to see your new ones.