Saturday, August 18, 2007

Mr Vice President

This is the winning speech Kaleb gave to his class this afternoon.

Fellow junior classmates and sponsors,
A year and a half ago, I discovered that my parents had accepted a job at Dalat International School in Penang, Malaysia. I was deeply angered having to leave my friends and family members behind to go to another part of the world I had never imagined going to before. When I started my sophomore year I hated this place. Everything about it. Maybe some of you noticed my bad attitude last year. But God has changed me since then and some of you were God’s instruments in helping me change my viewpoint.

I now love this beautiful place with a passion. I love the atmosphere here at Dalat and I love the people from all different nations. The diversity on our campus is amazing. I would never have had such an awesome experience if I had of stayed in Canada. This change has brought out a new attitude in me – one of a friendlier, easy going guy who appreciates people from all the ethnic groups on our campus.
I wasted last year. Now I want to make it up by serving you as your junior class vice-president. I will be committed to this class and serve you in a way I think is most effective. One of the things I have done in the last few months is taken time to think about what is really important to me – my values. I value friendship with other people and doing things together to make everyone feel included. I value creative thinking to answer questions and solve problems. As well, I believe I have the potential for leadership that I would like to uncover and realize in myself. Because of this, I trust I could serve you well as a junior class vice-president.
I’m excited for what this year holds not only for our junior class but all of Dalat. We, as the junior class, are an incredible group of people and we have a chance to set a strong and godly example for the rest of the school.
I don’t want to waste another year.
Thanks for this opportunity to share.

P.S. Its been a stellar week for Kaleb - he also landed the lead male role in this semester's drama!

6 comments:

Anita said...

WAY TO GO, Kaleb! This is a definite answer to prayer. I'm very proud of you, Kaleb!

Anonymous said...

Kaleb.... what an amazing testimony to God's work in your life and your willingness to be open to his teaching and guidance. How I wish we could pop in for your play.
Please be in prayer for Lakeview... we are going through deep waters and will need much healing and wisdom in the days ahead.
Thankyou for watering our grass patch at Arlington... it was very long when we arrived ... we missed you being next door and I stood on the spot where your tent had been and prayed fpr your family. I was worried that Annie might have West Nile... is she better?
Love to you all... Linda

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a wonderful speech. I am so proud.

Kate said...

I am honored to be your Granny Kaleb, don't feel you wasted last year....it was a crucial part of your journey and I am very proud of you. Keep us posted...love Granny

Christy said...

Amazing, Kaleb.

I can vouch for what he said about "doing things to make everyone included". This summer we were sitting at our campfire and Kaleb and Annie had pillows under their arms going to see a movie at Sherwood.

He turned to Kylie and asked her how old she was and told her she was welcome to come along. We were so blown away - I can only pray God provides such quality people to befriend my daughter. Most high schoolers would have avoided the "kids" at all costs, but he was warm and thoughtful.

Much success as VP, Kaleb, and continued prayer for your family. We are so continually blessed by all of you.

Glendyne Gerrard said...

Excellent speech Kaleb! Way to go - I know God is going to use you in amazing ways this year. Last year's experience won't be wasted - God never wastes those things in our lives. Congratulations on the school play part as well.