Thursday, June 07, 2007

The End

It's all over. We are officially done as of two hours ago when our last student climbed into the van and drove away. Its a strange feeling to not have students running around, opening the fridge, throwing pillows at one another, laughing, crying, eating.... I suppose it won't really kick in for a few days and then I'll realize just how much I'm going to miss our four who aren't returning.

All the rooms are vacated and the hallway is packed with boxes. Each student can leave one box behind that we store for them but some try to leave a lot more by giving things to others. That's why we can't find Annie's bed anymore - its covered in stuffed animals and pillows the other girls couldn't fit into their boxes. Good thing she only has two more nights here!!

Grad last night was awesome and the party lasted for me til about 3 am when I finally slept. Woke up around 4:45 to noise and found a mom in the lounge packing up some stuff. Headed back to bed around 6:30 am after saying good-byes to the Cambodia crowd and got up again for more good-byes by 9. I'm OK so far - keeping busy with laundry and going through all the clothes kids leave behind for charity. Kaleb and Annie also got their last Hep A shots today - definitely not a highlight of their day.

I've reflected on some things mentally but over the next few days I want to process it all through a better filter to see what we've learned and what we will do differently next year. AS I have the energy and the words, I'll post my thoughts for you all to peruse.

No comments: