Saturday, April 28, 2007

Two 4 One

Today, seven of us ladies escaped off the island to the Mikasa factory for another buy on dishes. I came back with 51 pieces for $100 CDN. To add to my Christmas collection, I bought 8 mugs, 4 more dinner and 4 more salad plates in a different pattern, 12 dessert plates in a coordinating pattern, 1 large and 2 more medium serving bowls in the Holiday Gatherings patterns from Lenox. (Click the link to see the pattern.) All of these dishes were on sale two for one. Except for four mugs, I now have enough for 12 place settings. Hopefully they will have more in the showroom next time!

I also bought six place settings of the White Swirl pattern from Mikasa for our everyday dishes and a couple of large serving bowls for the dorm in the Mesa Verde pattern. These were all regular clearance price which is still ridiculously cheap compared to the online prices.

The manager was at the showroom today and since he knows a few of the Dalat ladies by name, he told us of a 'crazy sale', as he called it, happening in June. He told us women fly in from Singapore and other places for these sales and buy huge amounts at one time. Its the week of grad but some may try to go anyway for the good deals.

Back in Canada, I never would have considered purchasing 12 place settings of Christmas dishes only. I'm far too practical and obviously cheap. But here I've spent only $75 CDN for 60 beautiful dishes to help us celebrate that season. We live very simply here in Malaysia, which I really enjoy, but I do have a couple of indulgences and these dishes are one of them.

So if anybody wants to come for Christmas dinner, I'm good to go with the dishes!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can we use them the week after Christmas?

Anonymous said...

Nope, once the New Year has come, the christmas dishes must be put away until December again.