Monday, January 19, 2009

Girl's trip to Thailand

My trip to Chiang Mai, Thailand, with three friends was awesome and too short! We packed our days full of shopping at the markets and factories, sight seeing and enjoying the main reason we came: Joyce Meyer and Hillsongs. That was absolutely fantastic! We enjoyed listening to Joyce's no nonsense approach to life and faith each night with about 5,000 other folks in a soccer stadium and absolutely loved singing and dancing with the Hillsongs worship team. Trust me when I say, you can get very worn out jumping up and down to "One Way Jesus"!
Anyway, Chiang Mai is a city rich in history and tradition. We loved exploring around in tuktuks (three person motorcycle taxis which we found could fit four North American women plus a lot of pottery) and songtaews (truck taxis with benches in the back). The night markets provided a great place to find some outstanding buys and barter for a better price. We ate some good, spicy food, endured Thai massages twice and did the thing any right-minded tourist would do when visiting Thailand - rode an elephant!!
Below are pictures of the different markets we were at, actually we hit three in four nights. The night bazaar which is for the tourists, Walking Street which is a local market and Tai Pai Gate market on Sunday evening which brought the hill tribes into town to sell their handicrafts.
Squid on a stick anyone??Jasmane is trying to decide between eating the fried mole cricket or the large grasshopper. In the end, she opted for Starbucks, I think!
The Thai foot massage was very relaxing. If I lived there, I would go everyday.

Half the fun of the trip for me was hanging out with Lana. Who would have guessed ten years ago when we were at Arlington together that we would now be in Asia together? God does work in mysterious ways!


Yep, those are real, live tigers! Lana and I wanted so badly to play with them as they are only four months old but in the heat of the afternoon, all of them just wanted to sleep. Their fur was so soft and thick. It was a lot of fun and is also highly recommended to do if going to Thailand.





And of course, the elephant farm is a fun place to hang out also. We took in the show, where the elephants play soccer and paint pictures. And we fed them bananas and sugar cane and took a half hour ride through the jungle. Its not the smoothest way to travel so I was thankful we weren't crossing the Italian Alps like Hannibal!

4 comments:

Carla said...

Great pictures!

Anita said...

Been there, done that! Well, not the elephants or the tigers. I'm very jealous of you riding the elephant, you know.

Kate said...

ya so am i...jealous, that is...riding an elephant might be better for me these days....take note of the typing!!! i broke my arm skating with bruce the other nite...but couldn't quit because it was the first fair weather day in over a month and it was so lovely out..... when we did go to the hospital they casted me up from the tips of my fingers to my elbow...what a mess!!! love the photos...what a great trip! love and hugs to all

Unknown said...

You posted some GREAT PICS! Wow! I can't imagine visiting a place like that! I'd be a dream come true! I had to blog about your post on my blog! Amazing!