Thursday, September 06, 2007

Thursday thoughts

The campus has been extremely active these past few days. Here's what it looks like after school:
Monday - Varsity girls and guys soccer practice, softball practice, after school clubs and junior class candy sales
Tuesday - Junior varsity girls and guys soccer, girls volleyball practice, badminton club, after school clubs and junior class candy sales
Wednesday - Varsity girls and guys soccer practice, softball practice, after school clubs and junior class candy sales
Thursday - Junior varsity girls and guys soccer, girls volleyball practice, ensemble practice, drama, badminton club, after school clubs and junior class candy sales

Add to this pick up basketball games, tennis matches and kids on the playground - it makes for a very busy campus!



Annie and I have been doing both volleyball and softball so we are tired and sweaty most days for supper. Wednesday's softball practice was a scrimmage - Mark, the coach, pitched while I caught. So far we don't really have a strong, consistent pitcher nor someone willing to don the catcher's equipment on a scorching hot day. Annie has a great throw - accurate and strong so she'll likely play outfield. As for volleyball, we only have 8 girls coming out regularly and a tourney this weekend. Annie has never played before but is catching on nicely, which I'm excited about since volleyball is one of my favourite sports. With all this activity plus our runs up Pearl Hill, I had to run out and buy more sports shorts since I couldn't keep up with the wash!


Tomorrow is the school open house - we expect about 700 people to come for supper and tour classrooms and dorms. To entice people to climb the steps to Chandler dorm, we are holding a contest to guess the number of candies in a jar. Maybe that will spark the interest of a few people!! All the kids' rooms look so nice - if only they could stay that way.


Naomi's over her sickness but Abbie has caught it now and Sarah has been fighting it for a few days. At last count, we had four staff or students hospitalized overnight. Whatever this flu bug is, I don't want to catch it so I'm bleaching doorknobs, phones, keyboards and all sorts of other things we touch in common. Maybe I'm deluding myself but psychologically it makes me feel better.

Tomorrow staff meeting is here in our dorm. I love these meetings - not the typical boring meeting by any stretch. We have way too much fun together and besides, we take time to walk through all the rooms and pray for each student individually, including Kaleb and Annie. I always appreciate knowing the struggles and joys of all the dorm kids - helps me to understand them better. BTW, two new girls from Tanzania entered Jackson dorm last week so Laurian isn't the only African on campus. Too bad he speaks Mandarin instead of Swahili!

Speaking of Annie, she's running for middle school student council president tomorrow. She's prepared her power point presentation and short speech. Its quite hilarious - she lists all the things she is (with great pictures I might add!) like girl, daughter, sister, cousin, niece, granddaughter, swimmer, softball player, reader, student, Christian, pet lover..... and ends with her wishes - to be queen of the world but will settle for ms president!! She's running against two grade 8 boys and she'll no doubt get the girl vote. Stay tuned for the election evening results :)

Kaleb continues to love his position in junior class. He calls himself the VIP - vice 'important' president -no lack of self confidence there! And he continues to comment on his stretching height...'boy mom, you are really short' or 'dad, stand next to me again so I can see how much I've grown'. He has to take Canadian history this year and convinced three of his Korean friends to take it with him! Now they are researching Canadian universities so who knows where this will lead?

I'm going to bed now. Fridays are always jam packed with things to do so I must get my beauty sleep!! Blessings of joy to all those waking up on the other side of the world.

2 comments:

Anita said...

I love reading about your busy days, and your kids, all of them, but especially two of them! Can't wait to hear the election results!

Kate said...

Go! Go! Annie Go! WOW! and I thought I was busy...sounds like a lot of fun though..I can certainly understand why you need your beauty sleep!!