Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The weather

It has been excrutiatingly hot this past week. Someone told us that January and February would be the worst but I don't think that was anything compared to the heat right now. We are constantly hot, sticky and sweaty right from the get-go in the morning. Our dorm lounge is an oven by midday and so is the kitchen tonight as three girls and myself cooked supper for our director and his family.

We had a huge rainstorm last night with high winds that broke limbs off trees and did a number on some nearby roofs. Our electricity knocked out for a while until Tim got up in the middle of the night to flick the breaker back on so we could have the aircon going. Today our TV doesn't work properly so we're blaming that on the storm. We were hoping the rain and wind would cool things off but actually its driven the humidity way up so today was a scorcher.

In this intense heat, I don't feel like eating much and I certainly don't want to exert too much energy because I'm already wet with sweat just walking down the hall!! After school, everybody heads to the study room or our bedroom - the two rooms with aircon. At 9 p.m., we turn on the aircon in the students' bedrooms but before that, we're likely to blow the system since classrooms and offices are a huge draw.

I know very few of you who experienced the hard Saskatchewan winter feel sorry for me but I just thought you should know that tropical island weather can be brutal as well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shawna, I lived in the Caribbean, so I can relate to the heat. However, the ship I was on had a/c everywhere indoors, so there was always reprieve. But on the islands, it was HOT and HUMID. I can relate.
And I am one of those who just went thru an Arctic Winter... and am heading back up tomorrow! Still Snow, still -5 to -10, and lots of wind!
Su-Ann

Kate said...

I can relate Shauna...remember the summer of 2003 when I thought we would implode or something similar because of the heat...it can be oppressive too...just think in less than 2 months you will have a Sask summer to enjoy...the weather here was a little chilly...we had 1 1/2" of rain over Sunday nite and Monday and it was only +5 here this am...only in Saskatchewan!! Supposed to be warmer tomorrow and even warmer by Friday. BUT then on Saturday when we are branding etc at the farm it is going to rain. The long weekend...never fails!!! Love to all